Impact of Social Media... On ME

I saw someone else in this class write about their reflection on social media in their own life, and I think this is important to do.  When I look back at my involvement on social media the first thing that pops into my head is YouTube.  I remember going over to my friend Katie's house and she introduced me to YouTube.  We would watch music videos from Justin Timberlake and also watch silly cartoon videos.  Fast forward a year or two, Katie and I were in sixth grade and she had just made an AIM account and a Facebook.
I thought AIM was literally the coolest thing ever and everyone in middle school had one, so I created my own account... then I wanted to make a Facebook, but my dad kept telling me no.  I make a secret Facebook account and lied about my age because of the company's age policy, but then my mom made an account!  Shortly after Facebook, Skype and Twitter came into the picture.  However, I feel like now that I'm reflecting, the more and more social media platforms that were created the more drama and negativity came into my life.

Social media was almost like a competition, at least at my school it was.  Who has the most friends/followers, who gets the most likes on their pictures, who gets the most likes and their "Truth Is" statuses... it was just a constant competition, and if you didn't have the most of whatever you would feel like something was wrong with you.  If you, at least for me, saw a group of your friends hanging out together and you weren't invited it hurt! 


Personally, I feel like social media has a lot of benefits but has also had a lot of negatives.  I can think of 10 situations that I have seen throughout my time on social media where couples will breakup or get divorced or where friendships end.  In class we talked about how politics on social media has ended friendships and has even caused tension in families!

What do you think the impact of social media has been on your life and can you agree that social media is almost like a competition? 

Comments

Popular Posts