Cyberbullying Needs to Stop

Cyberbullying has become a very serious issue in the past few years with a rise in technological online platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram.  I remember in 2011 Emily Osment stared in a movie called "Cyberbully" that showed the effects of cyberbullying, and I think this is when the conversation started.  After reading what Michigan is doing with cyberbullying by fining the bully and even putting the bully behind bars, I find this is effective.  I think if the bully pushes their victim to result in ending their life that the bully should be held accountable, because that is in doubt in my mind murder.

Michelle Carter pushed her boyfriend, Conrad Roy,  to commit suicide via text message, and she was sentenced to 15 months in prison.  Do I think her sentence is fair, no not at all.  Her influence resembles a bully, which is where I think other states need to look at what Michigan is doing.  She verbally pushed and murdered for Conrad Ray to take his own life, and therefore she should a severe punishment. 

I think enforcing laws like Michigan would be effective and would enlighten online bully's eyes and show them "if you do the crime, you must do the time."  I feel most bullying, especially with people in school, happen online.  Bullying happens in schools, but it is most definitely carried out throughout the rest of the day online.  States need to create laws regarding cyberbullying, because not only children get cyberbullied!  Adults, celebrities, politicians, etc. get bullied online and bullying anyone is not acceptable and needs to be dealt with.  

Comments

  1. I also remember seeing the movie "Cyberbully" when I was younger and this is the first thing that popped into my head when discussing this topic. I have heard of cyberbullying, and even seen some minor cases in my school first hand, but I think this movie really opened my eyes as to how bad it can get and the toll it takes on the victims. Cyberbullying is more about offending someone or hurting their feelings. In the case of the movie, the victim attempted multiple times to commit suicide. As disheartening as this was to watch, it definitely made me more aware as to how severe this issue and the consequences that could follow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts