Good Google or Bad Google?

Whenever I need to look something up on the Internet I will usually say, "hold on let me Google it".  Google has taken over the technology lingo and something as simple as saying "let me Google it", instead of saying "let me look it up", shows how Google has really sculpted the Internet!

In class we talked about the search engines we use on a regular basis (Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc.) and I feel most of us can confidently say that our go-to search engine is always Google!  The way Google has their search engine presented is much cleaner and right to the point.  With all this being said, I think Google has a lot of power with consumers.  Can to much power be bad?  I think YES.  Google has a lot of controversy in regards to the company gathering data that each of us look up, which is why DuckDuckGo was created (search engine that doesn't store your data).  

Everything posted onto the World Wide Web is our there and not coming back, so with Googlization, I feel that this does put a damper on our privacy.  However, as consumers we are aware that Google collects our data... yet we still use Google everyday.  I feel this is a hard question to answer because there really isn't a right answer!  

Do you think Google should stop collecting our data, or limit what type of data Google collects?

Comments

Popular Posts